Saturday, May 16, 2015

Foiled Again - DNS


This weekend we were supposed to be in Knoxville for the Challenge Knoxville Olympic  triathlon.  I won this race back in January at the Bluegrass Tri Club kick off event.   Even though we had a terrible winter I managed to get a good training base in thanks to committing to the Shelbyville Tri Series.  It forced me to get on my trainer all winter.  Once mid March came around I was able to get some good outdoor rides in.  I was feeling strong for so early in the season.

From our last 40 Miler Ride
Then it happened.  It started out as a cold but then morphed into pneumonia.  And just like that training came to a complete halt 11 days before the big race.  I fought a fever as high as 103F for several days before the second round of antibiotics kicked in.   The next few days I was completely exhausted & had an annoying cough.  10 days in, I am feeling better but do not have enough energy to work out yet.

I am bummed but things can always be worse.  I will get over this crud soon & will be able to start training again.  Patience isn't my strong suit.

The doctor did lecture me on not using my inhalers daily.  I am so bad taking medicine if I feel OK.  The reality is I get sick every spring.  It always starts out as allergies then turns into a cold / sinus infection.  This year I was doing so good.  I didn't get sick at all this past winter so it was that much harsher when I got this doozy of an illness.  

In an effort to not repeat this next year I am going to document my spring plans here as recommended by my doctor & and on my calendar for March 1, 2016
  • QVAR - If no longer taking - restart!  Take 2 puffs 2x per day.
  • Ventolin - Take everyday.  Use prior to every workout
  • Nasal Rinse every night
  • Shower in evenings instead
  • Even if weather is awesome don't do every workout outside especially when pollen counts are high.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...