Sunday, October 6, 2024

A Love Letter to WNC

Thanksgiving - 2021

Though I’ve never lived in North Carolina, it feels as much like home to me as New York does—where, incidentally, I’ve never lived either. Growing up, I spent many summers with my grandparents in New York that it always felt like home. After more than 20 years in Kentucky, Western North Carolina gives me that same feeling.

The scope of the damage is still barely understood a full week after Hurricane Helene tore through Florida, Georgia, Tennessee & the Carolinas. I continue to be heartbroken by all the stories & images that continue to come out everyday.  Although this post focuses on WNC, my heart goes out to everyone that was impacted by this storm. I feel like it's only a matter of time before each of us experience 'the big one' no matter where we live. The recovery will take years. The challenge with these types of catastrophic events is that they are always replaced by the next catastrophic event shortly after (Milton?) in the news cycle. Our collective memories are short.

In case you want to help, there are many good places to donate if you are able. NPR compiled a list of places to donate in the early days after the floods. Here is the link to the North Carolina Red Cross and the North Carolina State donation site which is being managed by United Way.

There are so many local businesses that are posting how to help & many positive stories of people coming from around the country to help. Here are just a few that I have seen.

WNC has been Steve's & my go to place since I moved to Kentucky over 20 years ago.  Almost every year we have made the drive to Brevard, Canton, Black Mountain, Bryson City, Fontana Lake, and so many times to Asheville. We have chased your waterfalls, hiked your trails & mountains, ran your turkey trots, cycled your hills, paddled your lakes & even competed in triathlons, including the French Broad Challenge. 

We’ve enjoyed countless flights of beer, and Asheville is where I first learned to appreciate and love IPAs. We've stayed in your hotels, cabins, resorts, bed & breakfasts, and Airbnbs. We’ve celebrated our anniversary and Thanksgiving in WNC more times than I can count, shared so many incredible meals, and it’s been the perfect place to gather with family and friends over the years. We have so many happy memories from these trips. 

Catawba Brewing

I had on my to-do list to book our 2024 WNC trip just last month but sadly this looks to be the first year in quite some time we won't be able to make the trip.  In the meantime, we will take a walk down memory lane while we support your recovery efforts & businesses from afar as best as we can. Stay strong WNC and when you are ready for visitors we will be back. 

With much love,

Andrea


Below are some of the highlights from our many trips to WNC with a few from central & eastern NC. 

#16 Grove Park Inn - 2023

Transylvania County - 2022

Transylvania County - 2022

Montreat with Friends - Thanksgiving 2021


#12 - Asheville March 2019

#11 - Asheville March 2018

Thanksgiving in Brevard - 2016

That time Sammie bagged her first peak
Mt Mitchell - April 2016

Mt Mitchell - April 2016


Asheville Triathlon with Audrey - 2014

Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 5k
Asheville - 2013

#6 - Fontana Village - March 2013

#6 - Fontana Village - March 2013

My first & only Olympic Distance Triathlon
Canton, NC - August 2011

French Broad Challenge
Asheville May 2011

New Belgium eventually came to WNC
Thanksgiving in Asheville - 2010

One of the very few photos my mom let me take!
Thanksgiving in Asheville - 2009

Biltmore Estate Greenhouse - Asheville 2005

Mom & me Wilmington, NC - Thanksgiving 2005

Karma! Wrightsville Beach - Thanksgiving 2005

Natalie & Rian's in Durham, NC - Thanksgiving 2004

Karma again! Holly Springs - Thanksgiving 2004

Girls trip w/Natalie Black Mountain - April 2004




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...