Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Recovery - Part 3

P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E

It seems when you cannot run you see runners everywhere.  Last night on my way home I saw hundreds of them.  It made me sad, mad, frustrated all in one.   Being injured can be so trying on your mental state. 

Source

Today was my 6th visit to my physical therapist and we had a bit of a set back.  Since my last visit my pain has actually increased.  It dawned on me over the weekend that I may have been inadvertently masking the pain.  You see, about 3 weeks ago I had some dental work done.  They replaced some old silver fillings & a week later one of my teeth really started hurting.  After some adjustments to the tooth my dentist had me take Ibuprofen for the pain which helped immensely.  She started me at 3200mg a day which after a day I dropped to 2400 mg / day...still a lot!   I started to drop down the dosage last Thursday which coincided with my last PT visit.  I continued to drop the dosage over the past few days which at the same time my pain started to increase. 

I did ride on Sunday which didn't help my physical pain but sure did wonders for my mental state at least temporarily.  I took Monday off from running & only did stretching along with the PT exercises.  This morning the pain was minimal & I didn't feel any pain during Pilates either.  At lunch time I went to PT & she did the deep tissue massage & scraping.  She also had me do some stretches & reformer exercises.  The pain was definitely there during the session.  At the end she told me to take the week off from the walk / run but that I could try water jogging. 

My biggest fear is that I won't be able to run or cycle again without pain.   At least I can still swim.  Tomorrow morning I will do a 1500 swim + 15 minutes of water jogging. 

Maybe next week will be better....

2 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! At least you can get in the water and get some jogging done! :) I hope you get 100% better soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope you get better soon! Glad you can still swim! I feel you on seeing runners. It makes me want to cry every time I see a runner or a cyclist. Injuries suck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...