Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Total Immersion Lesson 3

I started lesson 3 the week before vacation but I didn't feel like I had a good handle on the drills so I am repeating the lesson this week.

Lesson 3 (Swim with your Body) includes the following drills:

Spear Switch
Two Pause Switch
One Pause Switch
One Arm Switch
Rhythmic Switching & Breathing

When I bought the DVD I also purchased the Total Immersion book.  I have been watching the DVD but have only managed to read about half of the book.  Monday night I was reading through one of the chapters & came across a section about kicking.  The section started off with the question 'why do I go backwards when kicking & drilling?'   That caught my eye since that is exactly what was happening to me when doing these drills.  I read further & they said the main reason for this is inflexible ankles &  the 'adult onset' swimmer followed by lack of coordination.   I am pretty sure I suffer from all of those issues!

The book recommended trying fins for drills in lesson 2 & on.  I brought my fins to the pool this morning.  They made a big difference!  I did a gentle kick just to keep forward momentum.  They allowed me to really focus on the drills.

At this rate it will be around middle of February before I get through all the lessons.  I am really trying to give this an honest effort & today was the first day that things started to click.  I am going to try to get in the pool 3-4 days a week before work.

I am using the below lamp to help me get up these cold dark mornings.  It is a sunrise lamp.  About 15 minutes before the alarm is set to go off it gradually gets brighter & brighter.  I have had it for years but haven't used it since moving to Lexington.  I pulled it out on Monday & have been using it since.  It also helps that I have to get out of bed to turn it off!

2 comments:

  1. That lamp sounds brilliant! Good job with the swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a sunrise lamp before, that is absolutely brilliant! Keep up the excellent job swimming! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...